Sunday, November 13, 2005

Vote for Nhlanhla!

Calling all Nhlanhla fans - put your money where your mouth is and contribute to an exciting career for this aspiring superstar.

To Vote for Nhlanhla, call 0862277711 or SMS `Nhlanhla’ to 33676

In spite of the judges, Nhlanhla was the only one totally on song tonight with BOTH performances - he rocked the house with his first number (Stevie Wonder's 'Part Time Lover') and gave a goosebump performance with his second (Luther Vandross's 'Here and Now'). How can you not smile and feel happy when Nhlanhla gives us his all? You deserve to win this, Nhlanhla.

However, having said that, I thought Gift's second song was the performance of the night - he was simply brilliant and knows just how to work the crowds - what a guy, what a great find. I wasn't that impressed with his first number, but BOTH the boys deserve the top two spots.

However, even I know that Karin will secure one of those two places. Her rendition of Never, Never, Never will never be forgotten - as special, as beautiful and as unforgettable as the first time she sang that song at her audition. South Africans, we have ourselves a new diva - she's here to stay. I'll be honest and admit that I didn't like her second choice of song, but her performance was sensational. While I want the boys in the top 2, there's no doubt that only one of them will stand beside Karin.

Nicky, Nicky, Nicky - the girl who keeps on proving everyone wrong, including me. Her off-stage personality just doesn't go with her onstage performances. It's unbelievable that a girl that young can sing with so much soul. However, while I'll immediately buy a cd by Nhlanhla, Gift or Karin, I'd wait a year or two before buying a cd by Nicky. Why? Well, she's so good now, imagine what she's going to be like in two years time. I just feel she needs more consistency. Well done to her, though - I'll never doubt the Cheetah Chick again.

Then there was V. People have been arguing about her since the competition started and she has her own huge fan base. I don't deny that she deserves to be in the top 5, but I will not be sad to see her leave on Monday night.


If I had to apply the "CD TEST" to the contestants, the only one who fails it, is V. The cd test is a question I ask myself - would I buy a cd featuring this contestant? The answer to Nhlanhla, Gift and Karin is a resounding "yes", to Nicky, a maybe... to V? No, definitely not. She's lovely, she's got a good enough voice, but not good enough to be an Idol - I'm sure she'll have a bright and happening future, but I really feel it's the end of the road for her. I do not like her American enforced accent, and she battles with some of the higher notes, something none of the other four contestants have a problem with. She would do well to stick to soft country songs.

Performances of the night (in order of preference):
1. Gift - End Of The Road (no, it's not the end of the road for YOU, Gift)
2. Nhlanhla - Part Time Lover
3. Nhlanhla - Here and Now
4. Karin - Never, Never, Never
5. Karin - Never Too Much
6. Nicky - Foolish Games
7. Gift - You Remind Me (Usher is always a hard act to follow)
8. Nicky - Small Room (Sorry, Nicky, wrong song choice)
9. V - I Turn To You (a few bum notes)
10. V - Work It out
(Sorry, girl, you're beautiful, but you don't have the groove to do Beyonce)

To Vote for Nhlanhla, call 0862277711 or SMS `Nhlanhla’ to 33676
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nhlangla was sensational tonight! by far the best!!!!

8:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent singer, he's going to go far!

10:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Gift were the best last night. V must go!

10:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home